I’ve been messing around trying to make a perfect strawberry cupcake to go with the Real Strawberry Frosting I developed a couple of years ago. It’s been a long road and lots of cupcakes tested and tasted along the way. The trick was NOT using puree as I do when making the frosting. Rather, grinding freeze-dried strawberries into a powder brought this cupcake recipe out of my test kitchen and into my recipe box! I am so pleased with the results!
1 1/4 ounces freeze-dried strawberries 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 1/3 cups white sugar
3/4 cup cake flour 3 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt Add all ingredients to list
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin tins with 20 cupcake liners (for mini cupcakes, line 72 mini muffin tins).
- Grind strawberries into a fine powder using a coffee grinder or food processor. Whisk strawberry powder, all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Stir flour mixture, alternately with the milk, into butter mixture until just incorporated. Fill lined tins with cupcake batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until cupcakes spring back when gently touched with a fingertip or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes for regular cupcakes, 8 to 10 minutes for mini cupcakes.
To make strawberry powder: grind 1 to 1.6 oz (depending on your taste) freeze-dried strawberries into a fine powder using a coffee grinder, Magic Bullet® or food processor. You can find freeze-dried strawberries at Trader Joe’s® or online, or make your own dried strawberries.
Dry 1 pound of very thinly sliced fresh strawberries in a 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) oven for 8 hours, then grind as above into a fine powder.
Try topping these cupcakes with Real Strawberry Frosting.